The Library Services Unit (LSU) is one of the three Units of the Learning Resources Development Department which falls under the TVET Development and Support Systems Division.
To support research and curricular goals of the HEART Trust/NTA institutions in an effort to empower users of the TVET system to become lifelong learners and productive citizens in a dynamic, global society by providing quality resources and learning experiences that develop the knowledge, skills, abilities and attitudes for continued success.
HEART Trust Library network is a member of the:
• Library and Information Association of Jamaica (LIAJA)
• College Libraries Network (COLINET)
• Socio Economic Information Network (SECIN)
The Library Services Unit (Library) has a rich and diverse collection of technical and vocational education information which is available to encourage study, research and in general to support the development of the TVET system. We offer a comprehensive range of services, inclusive of online reservation, renewal, interlibrary loan and document delivery, for your benefit. Our clients include the HEART/NTA staff, VTDI students, trainees and the general public.
The Library Services Unit is the focal point of the library network for the HEART Trust providing leadership as it relates to:
• Designing physical layout for libraries
• Evaluating existing or proposed library programmes
• Providing centralized services
• Monitoring libraries in the network
• Staff training
The library consists of the following Sections:
• Reference Library
• Technical Services
• Audio Visual
The Reference Library:
• Provides information and research services
• Organizes resources in the HEART Trust/NTA systems
• Establishes accurate documentation of resource holdings
• Introduces educational and information technologies to increase access to resources
- Curricula Collection
- Loan Service
- Internet Searches
- Displays and Exhibitions
- Library Orientation
- Provides orientation and training in the use of the Internet, DVDs
- Facilitates access to video collection
- Introduces the application of computer technology in teaching and learning to staff
- Provides technical assistance to instructors and administrators to conduct electronic research
The Technical Services Section works in partnership with all HEART Trust/NTA institutions to acquire and provide access to instructional resources in a number of formats for users of the TVET system.
This Section :
- Manages, implements procedures and acquires resources
- Evaluates and selects resources in accordance with the organization’s needs
- Provides centralized processing for all resources acquired
Our Pledge to You:
The Library Services Unit is ONE TEAM! Our successes are dependent on all staff members.
Our Customers include the users of the library: trainees, students, facilitators, staff and the general public.
• A successful and rewarding library experience.
• A welcoming, courteous, and pleasant atmosphere.
• A balanced and diverse collection that focuses on TVET.
• Convenient and efficient information services.
• To promptly return your telephone calls and respond to your email inquiries.
• To work continuously to improve our services.
We pledge to never:
• Make excuses
• Trivialize other’s views
• Put down others thoughts, feelings or opinions